With the leaves changing and the nights getting a bit chilly, autumn is in the air. And you know what that means.
All Hallows Eve is right around the corner, and if you’re like me, then you’re probably mulling over sci fi Halloween costume ideas.
Whether you’re planning on attending a Monster Mash, or just want to take some inspired photographs, these simple costumes are great for the DIYer and the science fiction enthusiast alike.
The Easiest Sci Fi Halloween Costume Ideas
These costumes are for the last-minute costume designer. They’re simple to put together, and after a trip to the thrift store or the darkest recesses of your closet, you’ll be ready to rock and roll.
Mulder and Scully from The X-Files
By far the simplest science fiction costumes on this list.
- Navy blue, black, or brown suits (jacket and pants/skirt)
- White or blue dress shirt
- Black heels or black dress shoes
- A drab-looking tie, nothing too flashy
- Trench coats, if you’re feeling adventurous
- And fake FBI badges. You can make your own, or you can find Mulder/Scully lanyards on Etsy for a few dollars.
Before you know it, you’ll be ready to hunt down the paranormal while spitting out sunflower seeds.
Sam and Dean Winchester from Supernatural
Another pop culture Halloween costume idea, but again, super simple. Where Mulder and Scully show the sophisticated side of exploring the paranormal, Sam and Dean are the down-and-dirty type, gritty and grimy.
- A plain black or white t-shirt as an undershirt
- A flannel shirt
- Bootcut jeans, darkwash preferably
- A pair of work or hiking boots
- A grungy jacket, either a dark canvas jacket, leather jacket, or a dark denim jacket
To really spice it up, you could add in some props, like a compendium, Sam’s knife, some pentacle rings, or even a fake anti-possession tattoo.
Star Trek Officers
Whether you’re planning on going as Captain Kirk, Spock, or Uhura, this simple science fiction costume requires very few components.
- A single-color long sleeve shirt (blue, red, yellow—you pick, depending on your character)
- A pair of black pants/skirt
- Black shoes (could be dress shoes or sneakers)
- A Star Trek pin for your shirt. Making one out of cardboard is pretty easy, or you could check Etsy or Amazon for something cheap!
And there you have it, probably the simplest costume on this list, by far.
Sci Fi Halloween Costumes for the Avid DIYer
So if you like to prepare for Halloween weeks in advance, these costume ideas are for you. They still require a few easy-to-find components, but you have a lot for freedom for accessorizing!
The Rocinante Crew from The Expanse
The costume changes in The Expanse are frequent, but perhaps the most iconic look is the jumpsuit that almost every Rocinante crew member wears. With this item, you can then build out any character you please!
- A workman’s jumpsuit, in a dark grey or green color
- A black athletic undershirt
- Tactical belts for the waist
- An unassuming pair of boots, probably work boots or tactical boots
- Some patches to sew or iron onto the jumpsuit. There are some cool ones on Etsy
That’s most of the look right there. You can branch out into an Amos costume by rolling up the sleeves and adding some painted Nerf guns (tips must be orange, for safety).
Or, you can go for the Nagata look, with the pinned-up collar and neck tattoos.
Rorschach from Watchmen
Whether you’re a fan of the new Watchmen TV show or the original comic book series, the character design for Rorshcach has largely stayed the same, which makes this costume easier. Most of this science fiction costume is about gathering supplies, with a bit of DIY thrown in for the mask.
- A long brown trench coat with a tall collar and a belt
- A brown 1950s era Fedora hat. Should match the coat in color
- A white scarf
- A pair of pinstripe trousers
- Plain dress shoes
- A pair of brown or black leather gloves
- A plain white tank-top or t-shirt
- A black fabric marker
To make the mask, you can fashion a hood out of the white t-shirt or tank top, tying it at the scalp so you can hide it with the hat. Then just use the fabric marker to design the pattern on the mask and you’re done!
A Hardcore DIYer Sci Fi Halloween Costume
So, I had to include this one here, because I’m a big fan of Ghost Rider, especially the new Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider.
But there are a few ways you can take this costume design, but here’s the essentials for a Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider.
- A black leather jacket without a collar
- White leather strips to sew onto the front of the jacket
- A white hoodie
- Grey or black jeans
- Black and white Vans shoes
- Black leather, open back gloves
- A black balaclava mask
- Paper mâché materials (plus black and white paint)
- Battery pack with a switch and red LEDs
- A small fog machine
- A length of dark chain
This costume is kind of complex, but if you have the time and the technical know-how, it could be really cool! I once did a Ghost Rider cosplay, but it wasn’t as involved, and it was super fun.
What sci fi Halloween costumes are you working on? If you post pictures on Facebook or Instagram, be sure to tag us!